Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

The importance of Symbols.

OttoHart

Many of us spiritually understand the power of symbols, from experience. Symbolism has spiritual power. That much is a fact.
But not as many of us understand the mental, psychological need for symbols.
I've studied this in my study of psychology, and I've found it goes hand in hand with the spiritual interpretation.
I've created this text with a lot of effort, so it would be appreciated if a lot of people see it, and give their own opinions. Especially those wiser and more advanced than me.
Embark with me on this short parable about why we use symbols, psychologically speaking:

Say you are a wise old man in an ancient land. You have gained much knowledge in the past 80 years of your lifetime, and you are ready to teach it. You've made the world yours, and mastered many things in it, and now you want to pass this mastery further.
But how?
You're short on time. Giving the next generation your 80 years of knowledge probably won't take 80 years flat, but they only have so many hours in a day to listen to, so no matter how much you plan to shorten things without losing essence, it will take decades.

But this isn't just one old man and one young man. It's an entire generation that has to pass on teachings to the next.
Books, school, speeches, it's all good. But it doesn't beat the fact that there simply isn't enough time.
So how do you compress 80 years of wisdom in, say, 1-5 years of teaching?
You tell fairy tales. You create stories with deep meaning. You draw paintings with deep meaning.
That is symbolism.

This symbolism allows you to not only convey information directly, but allow the person seeing/hearing the symbol to make their own connections in their head.
You look at the Pentagram, and so many concepts are unveiled.
So many thoughts from one simple drawing, that might take hours to tell otherwise.
Spiritually, these symbols are this powerful because they are from the Gods and what they represent.

But the Gods go hand in hand with the science that explains the Universe.

Psychologically, these symbols are powerful because they play directly into the human mind. These symbols are patterns that can be associated with other concepts and patterns.
And we humans have one special little ability: To see patterns everywhere.

The universe is a "matrix" of patterns because you, a human, are experiencing it, and making it so. This is what other "planes of existence" loosely refers to. All these concepts are connected.

Completely embracing this pattern seeking approach to existence without the guidance of the Gods makes one go mad.
Embracing this pattern seeking in the controlled, proper way that the Gods have taught us, gives us an ability to navigate existence and empowers our soul in a beneficial way.

Symbols are the path to Knowledge, which is the path to Truth.
And all three of these are from the Gods.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back