Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Stationary Planets?

DerekD

Hey there people! How's it going? I've been doing some astrological research recently and I came across a topic I found rather curious and interesting. You see, sometimes when I would look at my natal chart or information, I would see "sr" next to one of my planets. I didn't really have a good idea what this meant until I read about stationary planets.

For those of you who haven't heard about them, stationary planets are planets that have appeared to stop before changing their motion to retrograde or direct. That means there are two types of stationary planets. Stationary retrograde planets stop moving in direct motion before retrograding and stationary direct planets stop retrograding before going into direct motion. As you may have guessed or already known by now, my particular planet was a stationary retrograde, indicated by the "sr". If "sd" was shown instead, it would have indicated that planet was stationary direct. A planet is typically considered stationary if it moves less than one tenth its usual speed. Although, I have heard of 20% less than usual speed being used as the standard for this.

Anyways, what I am most curious about is the significance and interpretation of stationary planets. Information on the Internet concerning stationary planets seems kind of scant. Especially for the interpretive differences between stationary retrograde and stationary direct. Stationary planets aren't found in most charts, so this isn't entirely surprising. The usual explanation that I come across for stationary planets is that these are more powerful and prominent planets in a person's chart. Some even say that slower moving planets in general are more powerful.

So yeah, can any of you seasoned astrologists out there give me a better understanding on this? Also, what about retrograding and stationary nodes? Thanks in advance for any input you can give me on this! I might ask more of these astrology questions later.

<td val[/IMG]Stationary planets are indeed an advanced subject in astrology.I can tell you from personal you will find little if none information in common Astrology books.
As you said,there are two types of stationary planets,stationary direct and stationary retrograde.
Basically if you have a stationary retrograde planet in your natal chart,the interpretation would be that you won't progress on the subject until you have revised that subject.Or,the person tends to think he is constantly reviewing the subject(as a consequence of not learning from one's mistakes?).Bottom line,progression without revision is impossible.The subject depends on what the planet is.For example,if Saturn is stationary retrograde reflects the necessity for self-discipline,self-trust over one's actions,and / or the failure of progressing / understanding life due to the lack of maturity.Interpretation is open to everyone. 
As for the stationary direct,it's the other way round.Those with stationary direct planets in their natal charts don't look back and progress further,as if they're committed to the given subject.
Quite interesting subject,while one cannot progress before learning from the past,the other doesn't look back and is devoted towards progression.
I have to admit I heard nothing about stationary and retrograding nodes.I don't believe they have anything to do with the Moon nodes,do they ? 

I hope this was helpful.Any other Astrology questions are welcomed.I have a passion for Astrology myself,it is a hard discipline,you always learn,especially from mistakes.
-Angus Vladimir Black"Malum non est nisi in bono"
--- On Sat, 12/19/09, DerekD <derekthehellviking@... wrote:
Subject: [JoyofSatan666] Stationary Planets?
To: [email protected]
Date: Saturday, December 19, 2009, 11:20 PM

Hey there people! How's it going? I've been doing some astrological research recently and I came across a topic I found rather curious and interesting. You see, sometimes when I would look at my natal chart or information, I would see "sr" next to one of my planets. I didn't really have a good idea what this meant until I read about stationary planets.

For those of you who haven't heard about them, stationary planets are planets that have appeared to stop before changing their motion to retrograde or direct. That means there are two types of stationary planets. Stationary retrograde planets stop moving in direct motion before retrograding and stationary direct planets stop retrograding before going into direct motion. As you may have guessed or already known by now, my particular planet was a stationary retrograde, indicated by the "sr". If "sd" was shown instead, it would have indicated that planet was stationary direct. A planet is typically considered stationary if it moves less than one tenth its usual speed. Although, I have heard of 20% less than usual speed being used as the standard for this.

Anyways, what I am most curious about is the significance and interpretation of stationary planets. Information on the Internet concerning stationary planets seems kind of scant. Especially for the interpretive differences between stationary retrograde and stationary direct. Stationary planets aren't found in most charts, so this isn't entirely surprising. The usual explanation that I come across for stationary planets is that these are more powerful and prominent planets in a person's chart. Some even say that slower moving planets in general are more powerful.

So yeah, can any of you seasoned astrologists out there give me a better understanding on this? Also, what about retrograding and stationary nodes? Thanks in advance for any input you can give me on this! I might ask more of these astrology questions later.
[/TD]

Thanks for answering! Nice to meet another astrology enthusiast! Astrology is addicting, isn't it!? By the way, to answer your one question, I did mean the Moon's nodes.

Also, good guess! My Saturn is stationary! On top of that, I've noticed another particularly slow moving planet and I suspect that I may actually have two stationary planets! The other planet is a stationary retrograde Neptune. One stationary planet is supposed to be uncommon. Two is considered quite rare!

If you're in the mood to discuss some more astrology, maybe you'd like to talk about declination? I find this quite interesting as well since it adds another dimension to chart readings. I've noticed that even though I have two planets in a stellium that seem loosely conjunct, they are also parallel to each other and their influence seems more noticeable than with the other conjuncting planet which forms a tight conjunct! It is said that conjuncts are particularly strong if there is a parallel involved. I also have two out of bound (excess declination) planets that are Venus and Uranus (the tight conjuncting planet from before). Out of bound planets are supposed to act "out of the norm." It is also notable that you can convert longitude (regular zodiac degrees) to declination and vice versa. I don't know of the exact methods involved though. I hope I haven't confused you too badly so far. Declination has to do with the location of planets relative to the Earth's equator. If you don't know about it, I'll gladly explain it in detail if you want. The use of declination is said to be gaining wide use among astrologers.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back