Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Question #5735: Resources for to learn ancient languages and some questions

AskSatanOperator

Where can I find good resources for to learn Ancient Greek, Classical Latin and Sanskrit?

What is the most precise pronunciation of Latin, at least the most similar one?

I would appreciate your answers.

Hello👋🏻. I study classical languages (ancient greek and latin) and cultures at University, so I can give you a few recommendations.
You will need: Two grammars (one for Latin, one for ancient greek)
and two lexicons for each language.
I would firstly recommend you to buy a good ancient greek grammar and latin grammar (I'm Italian so I can recommend you good italian grammars, but 5 mins of research will do to find two good grammars). I would suggest grammars that contain exercises (i.e versions and phrases to translate) but separate workbooks with exercises are also good.
Regarding the lexicons, the best ancient greek-english lexicon is the Liddel and Scott IMO. For Latin, I'd suggest the Oxford Latin dictionary.
The most correct pronounce for Latin is the scholastic pronounce, basically how you would read the words in Italian. Italian - latin pronunciation of words is almost the same, exept for "ph" that is read "f" and "ti" = "tee" that is read "zi"= "zee" . For greek, it isn't so simple to explain here, i would need a whole article. Regarding sanskrit, I don't study it so I can't really help you... blessed be!

For Sanskrit:

There are youtube channels like polymathy, and found in antiquity.

For learning ancient Greek:

It starts with readers, comprehensible input, than only later you'll learn grammar.

For a similar approach to latin, Lingua latina per se illustrata, and the Cambridge latin course is great. For more: https://foundinantiquity.com/2023/0...-hard-how-to-learn-latin-by-yourself-in-2023/

You can download everything from libgen.is

There is a lot to it.

Also this is one of the greatest methood of learning a language:

Although there aren't much reasources for this approach, for ancient Greek and Latin.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back