Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Posts Moving Forward - Discussion

serpentwalker666

Hello, I am considering making more helpful posts on linux and computer programming, like a reference guide for various areas of self study.

I also wanted the thoughts of other members on what you would like to see on the type of posts I could make moving forward. I am open to all thoughts and suggestions.

Hello, I am considering making more helpful posts on linux and computer programming, like a reference guide for various areas of self study.

I also wanted the thoughts of other members on what you would like to see on the type of posts I could make moving forward. I am open to all thoughts and suggestions.
If you can write tech guides for people who are not destined to be computer nerds, that could help alot of members.

If you can write tech guides for people who are not destined to be computer nerds, that could help alot of members.

Is there any tech articles or things you would want to see specifically? Like do you mean like general use with certain operating systems, or oriented towards other things?

I am only being specific with these questions so I can get a good idea on what would be helpful.

Is there any tech articles or things you would want to see specifically? Like do you mean like general use with certain operating systems, or oriented towards other things?

I am only being specific with these questions so I can get a good idea on what would be helpful.
I don't know, I'm decent enough with technology so I don't need such things myself. It's just a suggestion based on seeing alot of basic tech related questions over the years.

If you want a specific topic then take notice of what people tend to ask about. It could be privacy and security related, it could be using crypto, or any number of things. The importance of privacy and keeping control of information about you is something that's lost on alot of people, especially young people. We also have alot of members from countries with oppressive governments so privacy & security guides could be helpful, especially if it's something that a common user can understand.

If you can write something that would help people understand why having a small digital footprint and not putting your life online is important, I think that would be very valuable.

Most people are like "well I'm not doing anything wrong, so I have nothing to hide". That's not the point of privacy, privacy isn't just for people who are doing shady things. It's an important value & practice for many reasons.

PS. If there is a certain topic that interests and excites you then that might be the best for you to write about. Your best writing will be about things you're interested in.

Thank you for your thoughts on this. I will do my best to incorporate and better write helpful articles to assist those in tech from both a beginner and normal user level, and those who want to possess a better understanding and grow in various areas.

Thank you for your thoughts on this. I will do my best to incorporate and better write helpful articles to assist those in tech from both a beginner and normal user level, and those who want to possess a better understanding and grow in various areas.
You're also going to be off mod as soon as it can be done, so your posts can go through immediately. We have a list of members to take off mod.

Hello,

I would personally support this and I think it would be a great contribution.
I have been brainstorming about how I could personally contribute here with my knowledge, experience and education and this could be it.

My approach would be:
  1. Spreading the ideas and principles of digital self-governance, i.e regaining ownership over one's digital "life".
  2. Providing fellow members and visitors with suggestions of digital behavior best practices, Free Open Source software.
Some caveats:
  1. We should aim to have as broad of a reach as possible. We should begin by writing articles that are useful and applicable to as many people as possible. For example, explaining why one should use a certain web browser as opposed to other web browsers (everyone uses a web browser on a daily basis).
  2. We should write easily digestible and low complexity articles since most people are not very tech-savvy and may not be inclined to go down the rabbit hole of technology.
  3. We should provide external sources that back-up our messages, on the principle of "Don't take my word for it, please see for yourself".
I think it's best if we start simple and perhaps later we can move on to more complex topics.

We have to keep in mind that there are plenty of external resources which cover specifics on a topic in greater detail than we could cover here. Providing redundant information here that is google search away is something I would personally avoid.

To anyone reading this (not just serpentwalker666), please share your thoughts on my reply.
Criticism is welcome.

Sincerely,
HDNW.

You're also going to be off mod as soon as it can be done, so your posts can go through immediately. We have a list of members to take off mod.

Thank you HPS Lydia, this will be helpful. I'll likely take some time to dedicate towards what sort of tech or programming post to make soon. :)

Hello,

I would personally support this and I think it would be a great contribution.
I have been brainstorming about how I could personally contribute here with my knowledge, experience and education and this could be it.

My approach would be:
  1. Spreading the ideas and principles of digital self-governance, i.e regaining ownership over one's digital "life".
  2. Providing fellow members and visitors with suggestions of digital behavior best practices, Free Open Source software.
Some caveats:
  1. We should aim to have as broad of a reach as possible. We should begin by writing articles that are useful and applicable to as many people as possible. For example, explaining why one should use a certain web browser as opposed to other web browsers (everyone uses a web browser on a daily basis).
  2. We should write easily digestible and low complexity articles since most people are not very tech-savvy and may not be inclined to go down the rabbit hole of technology.
  3. We should provide external sources that back-up our messages, on the principle of "Don't take my word for it, please see for yourself".
I think it's best if we start simple and perhaps later we can move on to more complex topics.

We have to keep in mind that there are plenty of external resources which cover specifics on a topic in greater detail than we could cover here. Providing redundant information here that is google search away is something I would personally avoid.

To anyone reading this (not just serpentwalker666), please share your thoughts on my reply.
Criticism is welcome.

Sincerely,
HDNW.

I've been considering collaborating with another member on a few posts, like those regarding cyber security and virtualization, I will look into seeing what would be best for my tackle first. I typically use Linux with a very efficient window manager I've tailored towards simplicity and just quick bindings and launching for various programs, I may make my next post going over this, or perhaps something beginner friendly at first.

When you make the posts, it can delve very quickly into obtuse technical jargon that non-computer people will have difficulty following. Technology is extremely deep, and so is Linux and cybersecurity.

It is worth doing, but do not expect a huge turnout just due to the nature of the post. You can also ask me any questions since I have worked professionally in these fields.

When you make the posts, it can delve very quickly into obtuse technical jargon that non-computer people will have difficulty following. Technology is extremely deep, and so is Linux and cybersecurity.

It is worth doing, but do not expect a huge turnout just due to the nature of the post. You can also ask me any questions since I have worked professionally in these fields.

I appreciate the advice, thank you. Some more obtuse things like Xmonad, VFIO passthrough, guides for OS Development, and the BSD Distros like FreeBSD, OpenBSD and DragonflyBSD are things I am weighing on if it would be worth posting on, as I don't know the extent of if some of this would be useful.

I transitioned to using Xmonad on all of my Linux machines recently once I finished configuring everything to where it's very efficent, but just the general headache of using haskell I may just spare people from... Lol.

Just make sure that whatever you post is original in one way or another. I am sure that topics you have listed have at least some tutorials and information out there and it wouls not serve a good purpose to repeat the same here. You can also make reports out of what already exists out there by simplifying some complicated concepts for newbies. In any case, I hope you find an approach that best serves you and the readership.

I am interested in anything you have to teach regarding. If it helps even 1 person out there it's worth it.

Exposing Microsoft and providing instructions of installing similar alternatives such as Linux Mint would be interesting articles. The idea of a major tech company running their operating system in some 70%+ of the global computers is not something negative in itself but what is very negative is Microsoft's efforts to collect personal information and probably creating "profiles" of all their users.

Exposing Microsoft and providing instructions of installing similar alternatives such as Linux Mint would be interesting articles. The idea of a major tech company running their operating system in some 70%+ of the global computers is not something negative in itself but what is very negative is Microsoft's efforts to collect personal information and probably creating "profiles" of all their users.

Thank you for this suggestion. Also, I would like to add, VFIO Pass-through can be an option for those who can't completely get away from windows, for whatever reason.

I hope to go into a VFIO Pass-through set up eventually. as this requires a bit of money and can get expensive, but the jist of this is using ones processor and ram, splitting these resources to the virtual machine, and then also having a second graphics card, and passing this into the virtual machine of windows, with a linux host. This is very effective at having control over and isolating windows from the rest of the system. It is very complicated and tedious, but may be worth going over when I have the machine built for this, which will come later.

It is very complicated and tedious

I CAN CONFIRM INDEED LOOL! Not every GPU is capable of this also, and it's best if you have two separate GPUs.

I think you should first write an all in one guide for people who want to transition to linux. And like what's the differences, what is even Linux, how to use it, and all that. I have been thinking about writing such a guide but never felt like doing this.

I also suggested HPHC to have an IT forum, hopefully this will be made.

I've been considering collaborating with another member on a few posts, like those regarding cyber security and virtualization, I will look into seeing what would be best for my tackle first. I typically use Linux with a very efficient window manager I've tailored towards simplicity and just quick bindings and launching for various programs, I may make my next post going over this, or perhaps something beginner friendly at first.
We can collaborate for sure, either just apply "divide and conquer" so we don't end up producing essentially duplicate articles.

Thank you for your input. This is exactly my biggest concern. I am currently working in IT and I work as much with tech as I work with people (think one-man-army IT department). I learned how the general public / average person treats tech / IT.

The language must be kept simple and digestible.
For example, if I end up including "kernel" in a post, I need to pause and reconsider.

The depth must be kept shallow and easy to grasp.
For example, nobody cares about how or what the drivers are their your computer. All they care about is the drivers being up-to-date and functional.

I have colleagues which you would expect to be highly tech literate but are absolutely not. I thought I would never hear a software developer (with experience and which knows complex mathematics) say Linux is scary, but I did. Not to mention the colleagues which are expected to be tech illiterate, they are incredibly so.

Would it be possible, to send these posts as drafts to you for a review and then have them posted?
I want to be completely respectful of your time and your work here, but I think a label like "Sanctioned by JG ApolloAbove" would be a good indicator for members to know that what they are reading is not garbage.
I appreciate the advice, thank you. Some more obtuse things like Xmonad, VFIO passthrough, guides for OS Development, and the BSD Distros like FreeBSD, OpenBSD and DragonflyBSD are things I am weighing on if it would be worth posting on, as I don't know the extent of if some of this would be useful.

I transitioned to using Xmonad on all of my Linux machines recently once I finished configuring everything to where it's very efficent, but just the general headache of using haskell I may just spare people from... Lol.
With all due respect, that is impressive but I don't think it will have any traction here.
Just make sure that whatever you post is original in one way or another. I am sure that topics you have listed have at least some tutorials and information out there and it wouls not serve a good purpose to repeat the same here. You can also make reports out of what already exists out there by simplifying some complicated concepts for newbies. In any case, I hope you find an approach that best serves you and the readership.
Thank you for your input.
I am interested in anything you have to teach regarding. If it helps even 1 person out there it's worth it.
Thank you for your interest.
Agreed. We should at least inform people that there are alternatives to Windows and present honest pluses and minuses about them. If they are interested, they will go and research a bit more and may end up installing some flavor of Linux.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back