Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

My portrait of Zeus

SeguaceDiSatanas

Okay, it's the first art I've ever done, and it's freehand, without any traces. I've never done anything like this in my life, in fact I've always been more into logical and strategic reasoning than into art.

It would be a portrait of Zeus, I kind of like it, but my family is telling me it sucks. There's more paint than it looks on the canvas because since it was my first time I had to do it over and over again on the same canvas until it was pleasing.

It took many attempts. I titled this painting: "the Face of Power".

Screenshot_20240923_151405_Instagram.jpg

It is probably an bad representation, but for me it has value because I put my personal touch, my individual expression, I did not simply take a photo and color it, but what has value for me may not have it for others. And that is right.

In any case my aim was to show love to this God, not to offend him, so I hope the portrait did not come out too strange.

Although what they tell me in my family does not matter since the only "god" they would like me to make a portrait of is that of a certain "messiah" who has been hanging on a cross for 2000 years and still makes statuettes cry in small, remote Italian villages to seek the attention of illiterates (where it then promptly turns out to be all a set-up supported by the town's priest)..

If you like, give me advice on how I could improve...
...for example I think I should be more patient, I don't know how to wait for the paint to dry and by drawing on the still wet paint the colors are absorbed by each other, which is why one eye seems smaller than the other.

You are doing something, unlike people who only have ideas or wants but never do, that is good, regardless if the result is great or not yet so. If you keep working on this skill, you will continue to get better every time.

Keep painting often. After 30 paintings, you can look back on the first painting, and see the improvement at a glance. For further improvement, you can try to look at brush techniques and practice anatomy and facial structure. The most important things are to have a strong and clear image of what you want to create, and to develop the skills with the tools for painting to translate the image in your mind to the canvas in front of you closely to the image you have in mind.

Art doesn't have to be realistic in my understanding. If this portrait shares you feelings and way of seeing Mighty Lord Zeus, it is what important.
Thank you very much!!! I absolutely agree with your point!
By the way I love the way you use colors, it looks pretty good.
This comment of yours makes me really happy, the fact that you liked it is very motivating. I was pleased!
You are doing something, unlike people who only have ideas or wants but never do, that is good, regardless if the result is great or not yet so. If you keep working on this skill, you will continue to get better every time.
So true! Thanks!
Keep painting often. After 30 paintings, you can look back on the first painting, and see the improvement at a glance.
This is also very true, I know stories for example of cartoonists who drew really badly and over the years they have improved enormously to say the least. And this without taking courses or drawing schools, but just by practicing and practicing over the years.
Keep painting often. After 30 paintings, you can look back on the first painting, and see the improvement at a glance. For further improvement, you can try to look at brush techniques and practice anatomy and facial structure. The most important things are to have a strong and clear image of what you want to create, and to develop the skills with the tools for painting to translate the image in your mind to the canvas in front of you closely to the image you have in mind.
Wow, these are really great tips! Putting them into practice will be possible thanks to some online tutorials and an anatomy atlas (I already have one). As for the mental image, I will try to get inspired initially by taking real statues on Google images, at the beginning it should help me until I independently develop a clearer idea of how all the beauty of a representation of a Deity is expressed also from an aesthetic point of view.

Hey it's great that you started your artistic expression by just going for it. These are the first steps to a great journey, if you decide to keep going. The comment of JG Voice of Enki is very true. Actually starting/doing something and then to keep painting is the most important thing. There are people who waste their time/talent just because they try to do everything "perfect" or just dream about doing something, so they never actually start doing it and thus never get to practise and improve their skills.

Fellow Member and Artist OhNoItsMook did write an awesome guide that is really helpful if you want to improve your skills:
How to Draw (and use our mind powers for it)

I have found the best things to keep practising is anatomy/facial structure like JG VoE already mentioned. This is something that is not to be underestimated. Even artists/illustrators who already got some skills will improve even further if they focus on learning these. I know of artists that have decades of drawing/painting behind them and they still practise anatomy or poses often, as you may always learn something new/ improve your intuition to learn what looks "good" (basically try to always learn from nature and the Beauty found within).

Maybe you want to keep a sketchbook, where you just keep your practise drawings. This is also very good for observing your own progress, if you stick to it (it is very motivating).

As for patience, that is, depending on the medium you use, another type of skill that you might just have to learn. I know many artists have the problem of "no patience". But sometimes you can't force things, they just take the time they need. (Often I think there are many parallels to Meditation or many other things in life with this..)

You could try to put very thin layers at first, that will dry more quickly (I assume you use acrylic colours), so you have more control over the process. But you can also look into a way to use the thicker layers of paint to create purposefully a sense of "structure" or "texture" that thin layers might not achieve. Just by painting often, you will develop a own style that comes from your character/needs regarding the use of the paint, after you find out what works for you.

Or you might also try some medium like coloured pencils, that doesn't require time to dry. These might especially be good for practising.

After some time of practising your skills, try to paint another painting of Lord Zeus while applying everything you learned. I am sure you'll be amazed how much easier some things will be then, that you struggled with for now.

I wish you a happy painting journey! 🍀

The first, even the worst painted picture is always okay because it is simply the first picture. You have to start somewhere. Especially since (as you said) art has never really interested you.
●As for painting and paints - the time the paint needs to dry depends on the thickness, dilution and type.
●If you make sketches, make them delicately with a crayon or soft pencil. The sketch should be delicate, so that it is covered under the paint. In the case of watercolors, do not make a sketch or you can make it using watercolor crayon 🖍.
☆Oil paints - they must be diluted with special liquids, they usually dry very long. It is easier to lighten something than to darken it.
☆Acrylic paints - quite popular paints, although I do not like them. They are very liquid and should be mixed with a little water so as not to make a thick stain, but to paint freely. Their color may change after drying, especially when they are cheap. They dry in a few hours. It is easier to darken something than to lighten it.
☆ School paints - similar to acrylics but unfortunately they are not good at all.
☆ Watercolor - Dry paints, you paint with them only using water. They are great but require precision and "understanding" their relationship with water. When I was younger I loved painting with them. The colors mix easily. They dry mega fast.
● You can apply layers after drying. Watercolors can be difficult to do, but if you really want to, you can do it. You can apply the paint thickly, gently, using brushes, spatulas, your hands. You can use whatever you want. There are a huge number of brushes on the market. It is best to invest a little more in synthetic brushes. You can also buy natural brushes, they are made of pig hair and are stiff🖌. It is best to have a set of both types of brushes.
●If you want to find tutorials on how to draw/paint better, look for Russian movies. Russians draw very well. If you don't know Russian, you can use a translator to search for tutorials. Tutorials on the internet are free, you don't have to buy books which often cost quite a lot.
•If there are any mistakes, I apologize most sincerely. I use a translator, English and I don't necessarily like each other.

It's your first time, and everyone starts somewhere. If you are consistent and keep practising, you will develop. The mere fact that you picked up a brush and tried your hand at painting is a plus. Treat this as the beginning of your adventure and development if you are truly serious about painting. Practice makes perfect, so keep practising. I wish you the best. :)

Your intentions to make this are beautiful, keep increasing your ability and you will make masterpieces in time. Thank you for this!

Hey it's great that you started your artistic expression by just going for it. These are the first steps to a great journey, if you decide to keep going. The comment of JG Voice of Enki is very true. Actually starting/doing something and then to keep painting is the most important thing. There are people who waste their time/talent just because they try to do everything "perfect" or just dream about doing something, so they never actually start doing it and thus never get to practise and improve their skills.

Fellow Member and Artist OhNoItsMook did write an awesome guide that is really helpful if you want to improve your skills:
How to Draw (and use our mind powers for it)

I have found the best things to keep practising is anatomy/facial structure like JG VoE already mentioned. This is something that is not to be underestimated. Even artists/illustrators who already got some skills will improve even further if they focus on learning these. I know of artists that have decades of drawing/painting behind them and they still practise anatomy or poses often, as you may always learn something new/ improve your intuition to learn what looks "good" (basically try to always learn from nature and the Beauty found within).

Maybe you want to keep a sketchbook, where you just keep your practise drawings. This is also very good for observing your own progress, if you stick to it (it is very motivating).

As for patience, that is, depending on the medium you use, another type of skill that you might just have to learn. I know many artists have the problem of "no patience". But sometimes you can't force things, they just take the time they need. (Often I think there are many parallels to Meditation or many other things in life with this..)

You could try to put very thin layers at first, that will dry more quickly (I assume you use acrylic colours), so you have more control over the process. But you can also look into a way to use the thicker layers of paint to create purposefully a sense of "structure" or "texture" that thin layers might not achieve. Just by painting often, you will develop a own style that comes from your character/needs regarding the use of the paint, after you find out what works for you.

Or you might also try some medium like coloured pencils, that doesn't require time to dry. These might especially be good for practising.

After some time of practising your skills, try to paint another painting of Lord Zeus while applying everything you learned. I am sure you'll be amazed how much easier some things will be then, that you struggled with for now.

I wish you a happy painting journey! 🍀
Thank you so much for taking the time to give me these great tips!

The first, even the worst painted picture is always okay because it is simply the first picture. You have to start somewhere. Especially since (as you said) art has never really interested you.
●As for painting and paints - the time the paint needs to dry depends on the thickness, dilution and type.
●If you make sketches, make them delicately with a crayon or soft pencil. The sketch should be delicate, so that it is covered under the paint. In the case of watercolors, do not make a sketch or you can make it using watercolor crayon 🖍.
☆Oil paints - they must be diluted with special liquids, they usually dry very long. It is easier to lighten something than to darken it.
☆Acrylic paints - quite popular paints, although I do not like them. They are very liquid and should be mixed with a little water so as not to make a thick stain, but to paint freely. Their color may change after drying, especially when they are cheap. They dry in a few hours. It is easier to darken something than to lighten it.
☆ School paints - similar to acrylics but unfortunately they are not good at all.
☆ Watercolor - Dry paints, you paint with them only using water. They are great but require precision and "understanding" their relationship with water. When I was younger I loved painting with them. The colors mix easily. They dry mega fast.
● You can apply layers after drying. Watercolors can be difficult to do, but if you really want to, you can do it. You can apply the paint thickly, gently, using brushes, spatulas, your hands. You can use whatever you want. There are a huge number of brushes on the market. It is best to invest a little more in synthetic brushes. You can also buy natural brushes, they are made of pig hair and are stiff🖌. It is best to have a set of both types of brushes.
●If you want to find tutorials on how to draw/paint better, look for Russian movies. Russians draw very well. If you don't know Russian, you can use a translator to search for tutorials. Tutorials on the internet are free, you don't have to buy books which often cost quite a lot.
•If there are any mistakes, I apologize most sincerely. I use a translator, English and I don't necessarily like each other.
How cool is that: this is a truly comprehensive guide! Thank you so much for your support!
It's your first time, and everyone starts somewhere. If you are consistent and keep practising, you will develop. The mere fact that you picked up a brush and tried your hand at painting is a plus. Treat this as the beginning of your adventure and development if you are truly serious about painting. Practice makes perfect, so keep practising. I wish you the best. :)
I'm really happy about that, I'm grateful for your words!!

Your intentions to make this are beautiful, keep increasing your ability and you will make masterpieces in time. Thank you for this!
Thank you so much, our High Priest, it is truly a beautiful thing that someone has understood and also appreciated my intentions, Sir! I was truly pleased and above all that you, who have all my respect, love and gratitude for your constant service to the Gods and the noble values with which they support the universe, had the opportunity to look at my little artistic work and the fact that you motivated me, allow me to say that it is also a great honor for me, Great Commander, in the same way as it could be for someone to have encouragement directly from their idol of all time. So thank you again!!

Okay, it's the first art I've ever done, and it's freehand, without any traces. I've never done anything like this in my life, in fact I've always been more into logical and strategic reasoning than into art.

It would be a portrait of Zeus, I kind of like it, but my family is telling me it sucks. There's more paint than it looks on the canvas because since it was my first time I had to do it over and over again on the same canvas until it was pleasing.

It took many attempts. I titled this painting: "the Face of Power".

View attachment 4118

It is probably an bad representation, but for me it has value because I put my personal touch, my individual expression, I did not simply take a photo and color it, but what has value for me may not have it for others. And that is right.

In any case my aim was to show love to this God, not to offend him, so I hope the portrait did not come out too strange.

Although what they tell me in my family does not matter since the only "god" they would like me to make a portrait of is that of a certain "messiah" who has been hanging on a cross for 2000 years and still makes statuettes cry in small, remote Italian villages to seek the attention of illiterates (where it then promptly turns out to be all a set-up supported by the town's priest)..

If you like, give me advice on how I could improve...
...for example I think I should be more patient, I don't know how to wait for the paint to dry and by drawing on the still wet paint the colors are absorbed by each other, which is why one eye seems smaller than the other.
It's amazing :love::love::love:
Keep up the good work (y)

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back