Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Minor arcana interpretation without symbolism.

Jester13

Hello, dear family.
Recently, I bought a new tarot deck and it lacks an allegorical image on the minor arcana. As a consequence, I am having difficulty interpreting the numbered cards.

I have experience with the Waite system, and I know the symbolism of the minor arcana. But I don't fully understand how I should act in the case when there is no symbolism.

The essence of the question: Let's imagine the interpretation of the Three of Swords, for example, in the system of Waite. It is clear that it is "grief, sorrow, etc". In general, the meaning of the card is negative, and this is clear from the picture.
0_bOyya1GiZKZzqZlS.jpg

Now, let's present the interpretation of the Three of Swords without symbolism. Just the number and suit. Am I obliged to view this card through the lens of graphic symbolism? If so, why?
The book that comes with the deck interprets the three of swords as: "Powerlessness, fatigue, regular suffering, pain". Why? Through what is such a meaning rationalised?
sm_AncI-S-03.png

In my mind, the card has only the suit of swords and the number 3.
The suit of swords in the occult sense is the suit of air. Intellectual, psychological, abstract realm.
Number three in satanic numerology means divinity, triune force, perfect number, trinity of worlds, spirit, and so on.
How, in isolation from graphic symbolism, do the suit of swords and the number three together represent "Powerlessness, weariness, pain, sorrow"?

I hope I have made myself clear. If not, I will be glad to clarify my question.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back