Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Ancient Greek Learning Group

AFODO

Greetings everyone, this is an invitations for all of you who are interested in learning the ancient Greek language, and to those who already know it to some level.
I will make a group conversation on the forums and invite people who are interested, if we reach a limit we will see what we can do.

About the language in short, this is a language in history of high importance, both because of it's spiritual properties and overall the divinity of the language, and because of the literature that this language has. There are countless philosophers, mathematicians, poets, and so on who were spiritually advanced, very advanced, and used this language to share their ideas, knowledge and so on. Knowing this language to an extent to understand these texts, written by people such as Aristotle, Pythagoras, Plato, Homer, just to name the famous ones, will give you a more in depth sight of our path, about the Gods and our lives.
Ancient Greek is not much behind Sanskrit in terms of spiritual power or it's not behind it at all, (but obviously HPHC is needed to be ask for more accurate answer regarding this).

As learning a second or third or as many language you want, this will greatly enhance many of your intellectual abilities, and this is more pronounced with such a divine language. This is a great hobby to have.
If anyone on the planet are suited to speak this language than it's us, Satanists.

The resources we'll use are based on the "natural method", the "extensive reading method", the "comprehensible input method". Mainly.
This is mostly about learning the target language in the target language, to not translate sentences, but to comprehend sentences in the target language, while new words are presented with drawings, pictographs, or they are simply comprehensible by the context. You will obviously not learn the whole language like this, and an extremely perfect resource would be needed for this otherwise. You will obviously need to look up dictionaries, and not all the books in our resources will be based on this method.

When it comes to resources to learn ancient Greek, most assumes you know Latin, and most are not good. Still we will use 12 books that are great in their own thing, and when combined, they give you a pretty good autodidact experience. 12 books to be exact, this is why it's an extensive reading method.

Below you see the spreadsheet where these books are beautifully organized, where each column is a new grammatical concept. So going column by column, you will read different books introducing you to the same grammatical concepts. So here is the spreadsheet(made by Luke Ranieri, polymathy on youtube):

You can download the books very legally from here:
(you can also watch the videos mentioned here and memorize the alphabet.)
Or you can buy them on amazon. Or at least some of them.

So, the aim of this learning group of ours, is to finish one column per week. The first 3 columns are to be read in the first week, AKA. the first 3 chapter of the Logos book, than it's just one column per week. This will be very easy in the beginning, but the language gets harder and too much new vocabulary will be presented. This is not an easy challenge but that's why I'm making this group, to help and encourage each-other.
10-20 minutes a day should be enough to complete this challenge, but it depends on you how much time you put into this. I haven't checked how much page there is to be read in later chapters but I imagine you would not need to spend much more than 20 minutes per day to read them in one week.

Furthermore, flashcards, or similar ways of acquiring vocabulary is good. Such can be practiced outside of these resources which is the baseline.

In our group we will discuss what we learnt, what we know, what we didn't understood and what we don't know. Even in ancient Greek if we can. Although using the language is not the biggest importance in acquiring it, especially as a beginner. However this can crystallize our knowledge and using it in groups, we can correct each other which will be much better than talking to yourself and making grammatical errors that you'll never know you made. These errors can than grow in you and in best case scenario, you will only realize this later. But not with our group.

I sincerely ask everyone to ask everything you don't understand, as this is why this group is.

So this is than why I ask people who already know some level of ancient Greek to join us, and act as a teacher here while you can also further you level of competence.

Before you start to read, there is a basic knowledge you have to have about ancient Greek.
The below resources beautifully sums this up, please read / watch them if you consider joining.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Greek_grammar - This is to briefly know what grammatical concepts are there in ancient Greek. To know what you'll learn about.
- this is the pronunciation (you can just watch the attic part.)
http://atticgreek.org/pronunc/alphaU.html -This is also pronunciation. But this also shows the attic ancient Greek letters on the right (or below) in small, those are the letters that were used before 400bc. click on those letters for the attic pronunciation.

For more, you can check this channels out:

There is not much people who uploads videos on ancient Greek. He also has a "ancient Greek in action" course, that you can follow (it's goodly aligned with the logos book). Just be aware that he doesn't use the attic pronunciation, but a later one.

There are some interesting and good videos on ancient Greek from others too:

You study about the language in general until we start.
If you are interested, comment here or mail me on the forums or whatever. We will start on Sunday October 13, 2024, this is optimally when you should start reading the books, and I'll make the group on this day (beware of the VoC).

This looks interesting! I do need activities to train my left brain side and intellect so this sounds just right. Also, due my planetary placements, I'm bad at working or studying solo so this is another example of why am I interested in joining. :)

Good idea. I don't know if I have the time or energy for this right now but I am interested.

I sincerely ask everyone to ask everything you don't understand, as this is why this group is.

* and to correct each other.

You study about the language in general until we start.

*you can study

----

I'm so happy for this much of interest.

I don't know if I have the time or energy for this right now but I am interested.
and I'd like to take part in this but like Epiphany above me I'm a little short on time and energy.

I'll will invite everyone who wants to be invited (this would be an open group if there was such an option), but you are not condemned to follow along, or you can also go with a slower pace. One week per one column is a guideline and indeed requires dedication, a lot of us don't have this time and energy.

Furthermore, anyone can join later, after October 13.

I'll @ some of the people I know might be interested
@Black Book
@Isisd
@Hellenic SS
@Decius
@LiliumS
@Cosmic6999
@Olympios666
@Lightningsnake
@Elite

If somebody want to post this in the Greek subforum, than do so (but we'll speak in English or as I mentioned, ancient Greek to an extent).

Great idea, brother Afodo. The goal of reading 20 minutes per day sounds reasonable.

I do wonder if an introductory week for new learners to memorize the alphabet would help, as reading Logos will be much harder if one doesn't have the characters memorized yet.

I'm not too sure if 3 chapters per week is realistic for most as it may take longer to fully digest each chapter, in my opinion.

Also, this video series could be an excellent supplement alongside the textbooks:
I'd like to share this great, free resource from The Center for Hellenic Studies at Harvard University:

There are 118 videos going in-depth on the Ancient Greek language and its complexities, and I've found them to be very well explained by the professor.=

I do wonder if an introductory week for new learners to memorize the alphabet would help, as reading Logos will be much harder if one doesn't have the characters memorized yet.

This is to be done now, until Sunday. Moreover, you'll only recognize the letters faster and be able to read them if you actually read a text and not just memorizing. I think. Yes it's hard to read it at first, But it will get much better after the first week.

I'm not too sure if 3 chapters per week is realistic for most as it may take longer to fully digest each chapter, in my opinion.

Not per week, only for the first week. The first week is the first three column of the spreadsheet, than only one column. I did this because there will be even more materials to be read in later chapters and if one can't read the first 3 chapters of logos than they can't read one column of the upcoming weeks.

Also, this video series could be an excellent supplement alongside the textbooks:

Yes this is good and gives you the input you would get in an university. I had a problem with how quite the professor is (thankfully i have an option to rise to volume above 100%), moreover he talks and proceeds slowly, so this is really just for people who have time, and the textbooks should be a primary focus. And if you don't understand the concept, well this is why our group is.

The goal of reading 20 minutes per day sounds reasonable.

It's reasonable but it might not always be enough. Each chapter or column can be read once but if you want to fully comprehend, you might need to read twice or thrice. This is great because of extensive reading, but not suitable for most people because of lack of time.

---

At the end of the day, there should be not much concerns about time. If you want to learn the language, you'll learn it, and it won't take your life away.

This challenge is to keep you moving and complete the assignment, the challenge for each week. You don't read because of I came up with this group, or because of this group, or because of someone else, you should feel this challenge to be yours, you should challenge yourself the read and comprehend and learn the language. Alternatively, you can come up with your own challenge such as reading at least 20 minutes a day, and not according to the columns, but I find completing a chapter is more rewarding than completing a time frame.

I have made the group with 10 people currently (because there is a limitation), Hopefully I'll be able to invite more later.

Everyone can start reading the books even if they are not in the group chat currently. Just be aware that it's Void of Curse-moon until 20:54 UTC.
Ooooo, this is right up my alley. Would definitely love to join you all when the time comes to start!
All Hail Father Lucifer, and the Elder Gods! 💙

Thank you very much AFODO.
I am interested in learning Ancient Greek. Do you know any books in Hungarian?

Hello, I only know of one single book that was made for university studends, and it's available for free, it's basically the first search result if you search it up. Other than that, maybe you'll find online dictionaries but that's all there is to it.

There are much less resource for learning ancient Greek than Latin, and when it comes to Hungarian resources, we don't even have proper Latin books. The problem with these books is that they rely on the translation method but this is not a good way to acquire a language.
Moreover, those books were made for the classroom, and not for people who wants to learn the language by themselves (autodidacts).

A lot of books in this spreadsheet rely only on the ancient Greek language, so you don't need to know any other language to comprehend the book and acquire the language. A lot of them, however does use English, but I think you will not have a problem with this, as it starts with very basic vocabulary that you know in English too.

----

One of the things I forgot to send in this thread is the video about the spreadsheet.

This is a great idea for those who want to learn. Ancient Greek, along with Latin, used to be taught in Western schools until about a century ago.

The younger you are, the better. Once you pass the age of 20 it becomes harder to learn a new language, unless you have a talent for languages (usually shown in the natal chart).

This is a great idea for those who want to learn. Ancient Greek, along with Latin, used to be taught in Western schools until about a century ago.

The younger you are, the better. Once you pass the age of 20 it becomes harder to learn a new language, unless you have a talent for languages (usually shown in the natal chart).
At almost 30, this should be fun lololol.
No, I'm only kidding. Who doesn't love a good challenge?! ;)

Don't get me started on the state of education. In high school I had a Latin and Ancient Greek teacher who was a wonderful person and inspired those that had interest in learning not just by teaching but by being an examplary human being more than anything. But that was more than a couple of decades ago in a school system based on russian models of education that were of a much higher quality than the american ones my children are in now.

I apologize for the digression, had to get it out, the textbooks they have now are beyond terrible and it infuriates me. Anyways, I'd also like to take this opportunity to clear the cobwebs and brush up on my Ancient Greek. Thank you AFODO.

Hello, I only know of one single book that was made for university studends, and it's available for free, it's basically the first search result if you search it up. Other than that, maybe you'll find online dictionaries but that's all there is to it.

There are much less resource for learning ancient Greek than Latin, and when it comes to Hungarian resources, we don't even have proper Latin books. The problem with these books is that they rely on the translation method but this is not a good way to acquire a language.
Moreover, those books were made for the classroom, and not for people who wants to learn the language by themselves (autodidacts).

A lot of books in this spreadsheet rely only on the ancient Greek language, so you don't need to know any other language to comprehend the book and acquire the language. A lot of them, however does use English, but I think you will not have a problem with this, as it starts with very basic vocabulary that you know in English too.

----

One of the things I forgot to send in this thread is the video about the spreadsheet.
Thank you.
I downloaded it earlier. But I was hoping you knew of a better book.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back