Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Why do things I want seem to go wrong?

Tongoenabiago

I would like to know your opinion on whether this could be something spiritual or just a coincidence or disappointment due to a broken expectation.

I started noticing this when I make plans to go out somewhere or suggest a restaurant or place.

For example, I notice that when I suggest a place to eat, when I go to that place, either the food is bad or the place is crowded or something goes wrong. When I invite someone to go to an event, when I get there, either the event is not very good or there is not much to do.

So I also started noticing my "wants" in everyday life, for example: "when I get to work, I will invite this person for a coffee" and normally something always happens that prevents me from having coffee with that person, but sometimes, when I don't plan, it works out.

Obviously, when I plan or suggest something, I end up creating some expectation or imagining something about the place or the invitation, which makes me wonder if it is not just a broken expectation or if there could be something more to it?

I never considered myself an unlucky person, but I've started to notice it now.

My theory is that you have decreased your pleasure sensitivity (a good thing)

The more you are used to pleasure and good things, the less sensitive you will be to pleasure and then the less pleasure you will feel.

For example, let's say you have eaten a very good dish you have discovered for the first time, it will be very delicious at first. But the more you keep eating it everyday, the less pleasure you will get from it.

The reason why Nature created pleasure sensitivity is because Nature wants you to evolve by seeking greater pleasure. In that example of the dish, Nature wants you to seek a better dish.

There is nothing to be ashamed in having pleasure in anything because Nature created pleasure so we would know what is good for us, the literal definition of good is pleasure, at least on the individual level.

My advice is go into situations assuming you know nothing about them.

If you want to get coffee with a friend, you'll likely make a B-line for the friend, the car, and the shop.

Now say a beautiful woman was just feet away from your friend, there was a rainbow in the sky, and come to find out the coffee shop isn't even open yet.

Fantasy is always better than reality. Remember that.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back