Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Sitting positions and numb legs

StrivingBlitz

Hey guys, do you have some tips for sitting the right way? After 30 min my legs go numb. Tried many positions but with no success. The problem comes from a pinched nerv and I heard thats just a beginner problem and that it resolves itself after time. But it doesnt sound healthy for me to atrophying me nervs. Right now I just go with it but after an hour my legs and ass are so numb that I cant stand up for a while.

I have also promblems in identifying if I'm sitting straight or not. It's like "oh I think my lower back is a bit too curved" than I try to straighten it more and after a while I get the feeling my back fatigues from over straightening.

You're not supposed to sit cross legged, that will block your energy.
You can also lie down when doing meditation, personally I do that and prefer it.

The spinal series helps tremendously with posture/body alignment. Other things that help are planks, side planks, reverse plank, and learning how to do the thoracic bridge. Cat-cow stretch also help, cat too.

Alongside that, various hip muscles are responsible such as hip flexors and abductors. Not to mention, hamstrings, external rotators, gluteus maximus, adductors and ilio-tibial band.

This video shows how to do a forearm plank with proper form (protracted shoulders, posterior pelvic tilt, squeezed glutes): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3w9etxHZDE. The full plank (on your hands) uses the same the same, and is also the fully extended position of a press-up (US English: push-up).

Also, like Aquarius stated, cross-legged positions are not often a good idea. Ideally, you'd do a full-lotus position. If you're not there, you can half-lotus. Otherwise, focus on specific exercises to start building your half-lotus position.

If your legs become numb, you most likely have blood flow issues.

Cheers!

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back