Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Question #4788: tarot

AskSatanOperator

Does a tarot card (any card) if turned upside down change the meaning? Or is this a new age thing?

Well, Tarot is a controversial topic.
Some says it is coming from Ancient Egypt and some says it was just a game and then (by some Esotericism Communities) people start to use it as a divination tool.

In both ways, yes Cards have different meanings when they came upsidedown.

Does a tarot card (any card) if turned upside down change the meaning? Or is this a new age thing?
My thinking is that this is leaving things to chance and introducing the chance of error into your reading. Your intuition will tell you how a card should be interpreted, even if it is not a "textbook" meaning of the card.

yes. reversed cards have their own separate meaning and are perfectly valid. In regards to new age corruption, be careful not to use any tarot deck with blasphemous imagery of our gods, except for perhaps the devil card since that us a given in almost tarot deck, and be careful not to buy anything with jewish alphabet or the jewish soul tree in it. i have seen a lot of Radier waite based tarot deck have this.

Also I have seen some Oracle decks, which are different from tarot decks but still divination cards, have angelic depictions and names. Avoid them.

Gives a more nuanced meaning, not everything is going to be positive. I would want the cards to give me the most accurate description of what I am inquiring about.

In addition to finding a proper deck, ensure you get a deck that accurately conveys the masculine/feminine energies for each card. If it is a masculine card, there should not be feminine imagery on it.

Yes, an upside down tarot card has a different meaning.

For example the card 'Ace of Cups:
When up it is signifying New Love, but if it is upside down then Nobody Loves Me is implied.

I'd suggest for you to study this Tarot book: Tarot Plain and Simple Anthony Louis

It has helped me with Tarot readings so far. It's a good book and pretty accurate, if your reading is correct.

Before any reading clean yourself and your cards, get into a trance like state (no distractions!), and then either shuffle or spread cards face down and then use your intuition (while asking the question you want of the cards to answer in your mind) when looking through the cards (I use my hand by slowly moving it above the cards and seeing which one makes my hand tingle and my intuition tell me to take the card (works different for everyone else!!).

I hope this helps! If you have any questions in regards to Tarot - I'll do my best to answer it or somebody else (if they are more advanced in Tarot reading). :)

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back