Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Lord Satan's Day, the longest day of the year!

OttoHart

This is a fun thing that I thought about, that honestly impressed me. I was studying astrophysics and ran into a concept I already did loosely know, but studied it a bit more: how days work.

A day is the amount of time required for the Earth to complete a full rotation. However, the Earth makes a full rotation in varying amounts of time depending on your refference point. The two Ancient ways to track a day were very accurate, sundials and using the stars.

When comparing the Earth's rotation to any point in space, usually a star, the rotation takes roughly 23.9 hours to complete, roughly. This is what is considered a sidereal day. A fixed day that we can use for calculations. However, no one on Earth has actually experienced a sidereal day.
The Earth rotates around the Sun in an eliptic way, and it rotates around itself with a very slight tilt. Those two things result in a phenomenon where, depending on where the Earth is relative to the Sun, and where you are on the Earth, you will experience a varying amount of time to perceive a full rotation of the Earth, sunrise to sunrise. It is actually slightly longer, little over 24 hours, and it varies by about 2 minutes.

Depending on the times, there can be bigger differences between days, up to even 7 minutes ages ago. Nowadays, the biggest differences perceived are about 2 minutes.

However, the single longest rotation that can be perceived on Earth is in the Northern hemisphere, above the point of Berlin, on the 23rd of December.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back