Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

JoS IT suggestions - Element, GIT, and more

Demonic Tech

Greetings Brothers and Sisters,
I was inspired by @NakedPluto [JG]'s Outreach Project by the way it seems so well organized, and I had a couple of ideas.

Element space for JoS IT Projects
In the same way there is an Element space for the Outreach Project, I thought it could be useful to have a similar thing for IT projects, especially as fast communication is often key to fast development cycles. For instance, I have a project that is almost done, but having to communicate through e-mails seems to be slowing down everything, especially when changes are requested like it is the case there.
It'd be like when IT companies use Jewcrosoft Teams.

An official JoS cloud for GIT repositories
The usefulness of this will be clear to any programmer here, I think. This could allow us to:
  1. Avoid the risk of losing our repos by having a backup in the cloud, without fearing it being exposed to enemy systems (like if we were to use Jewcrosoft's Github)
  2. Allow easy collaboration of JoS developers through GIT, for which there are tons of documentations and I believe most of IT people already know how to use it
The previous idea, integrated into a full fledged Software Development Management System
A GIT cloud is just one thing that makes collaborative development easier, we could even go next step and make a full system that would include Agile Project Management, in a way that we can keep track of tasks in a super efficient and visual way (no need for Sprints I guess, but a Taskboard is super useful in my opinion).
What I mean is to use something that works like Tuleap, which I just learned is also open-source: here I link their website and their public GitHub repo (but I don't know this product very well, further investigation is needed, but then it's not like Tuleap is the only product available, I bet there are more options).
This system would include the hosting for the GIT repos, the Taskboard, and more.

Tagging @ApolloAbove [JG] as he's the Head of IT.

I would rather rely on disroot's services instead of element.

I would rather rely on disroot's services instead of element.
I am not familiar with it, but in any case I only said Element because that's what is already being used for the Outreach Project.
It could be on any safe-enough app of this type, Hell, we could even make it ourselves but we've gotta start somewhere.

In general I am in favor of this, however we do not have enough members trained to use git correctly. We also could use more IT minded SS in general. If you're reading this and you think you are suited for this, send me an email and we can talk.

Security practices are often at odds with comfort and rapidity of doing things.
"I sacrified my anonymity so I'm on the jewish hit list for extermination, I'll just pretend like I don't know that not using Tor is a security risk, so that others join me in the hit list and when there are enough of us on the list, we all get killed at the same time. I don't want to be the only one being killed while others continue to prosper without me. After all I sacrified so much time and in the end even my life." me reading ApolloAbove's mind.

It's exactly my concern these days.
Thanks to you to raise the problem. As recent user, I didn't dare to talk about that.

If on servers hosting one git repository per project, each developper/editor managing its own branch (linked to its account), then a responsible can merge the stable branches on the master branch then alert his own responsible and so on.

The problem is that no many people feel to ease with command lines, so it's necessary to write a stuff which click-to-command-line the business.

I've started few years ago an experimental nodejs code to handle the gpg command, the graphic interface being the web browser.
I've just verified how it worked : NodeJs call the bash script which manage the details - simplest to write.

A monolithic NodeJs-only code would be better for portability and to permit to every one to install it easily. But NodeJs is a bit special and not practice for algorithmy.
Bash is slow and not powerfull, I'll restart that with a NodeJs+PHP combination. The end user will only need to install this combination + GIT to start, and I'll try to implement the mechanism to add/load PHP (or else) modules.

I talked about, I must do now.

Security practices are often at odds with comfort and rapidity of doing things.
"I sacrified my anonymity so I'm on the jewish hit list for extermination, I'll just pretend like I don't know that not using Tor is a security risk, so that others join me in the hit list and when there are enough of us on the list, we all get killed at the same time. I don't want to be the only one being killed while others continue to prosper without me. After all I sacrified so much time and in the end even my life." me reading ApolloAbove's mind.
Go to bed, Ezekiel.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back