Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Cosmology and Literalism

I found an interesting study about Sumerian mythology this morning. It stated that the Sumerians were very much aware of Euhemorization. It is agreed among scholars and peer-reviewed studies that the reference to each deity in the Sumerian pantheon, is a reference to a Celestial body- be it a planet, star or our own sun. The study stated this equation: "Ia/Iao" (I= literal "I am" or possibly "unity", a=alpha, o=omega) translates to "I am the alpha and the omega." Sounds vaguely familiar. I can concede that this identification was either borrowed or stolen by the Yahweh cult, as they typically do. But, the consensus among scholars is that these Celestial objects were in fact, Euhemorized. Euhemorization is taking a Celestial body, and creating a mythology placing them on earth interacting with historical figures, as an earthly being presented as a deity. The Sumerians did this in order to preserve their knowledge in the form of parables, and creating a mythology that did not involve worship of a Cosmic object- by personifying each of them into a mythological character through which stories and parables could be used to teach their religion to the followers of it. We also observe that the Sumerians knew about Hellenistic methodology. It is unclear, and up for debate as to which Sumerian deity is the "savior God". The disagreement among scholars is whether it was Enki or Inanna. Enki is not a "dying and rising God" but it was Enki that received all the magical equipment needed to defeat Tiamat. After defeating her, Tiamat's body was split into separate bodies of water divided by a "firmament"- which is (if we take Cosmology literally) the creation of our planet. Very Yahwehish, and again a familiar story.Inanna, on the other hand IS a "dying and rising Goddess". Completely subjected to Hellenistic ideology. Inanna actually descended into Hell, was stripped of her divinity, and "crucified" in the sense that she was "nailed up". Here's the kicker- 3 DAYS LATER she is resurrected and ascends to glory, bearing salvation and deliverance. Another familiar story....Cosmolic Literalism- food for the sheep. 

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back